Reporting Bridleway Problems

If you try to use a right of way and find it blocked or unusable, view troche you can report the problem to our local authorities. Here’s how:

Bridleways in the National Park
Report the problem to the access department [click here]

Bridleways in the rest of Ryedale
Report the problem to North Yorkshire County Council’s access and rights of way department. [ This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ]

Bridleways on Forestry Commission land
You can report problems direct to the commission’s local office in Pickering. Problems on statutory rights of way such as bridleways should also be reported to the National Park (contact above) [ This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ]

Unsurfaced unclassified roads (green lanes)
Broadly speaking, cialis these are the rights of way marked as a line of green dots on modern Ordnance Survey maps. Whether outside or inside the National Park, they are the responsibility of North Yorkshire County Council’s highways department. The transfer of the maintenance of UURs to NYCC's Public Rights of Way department is under discussion (early 2015). To report problems on UURs currently, use the same form that you would use to report highways defects, which you can access via this link:

In all cases, please send details to RBG as well, so that we can coordinate action on long term problems – and let us know how you get on with resolving your reported problem.

Help to locate the problem accurately
The National Park have launched an interactive map that as well as showing route status (bridleway, footpath etc) also shows the furniture items (gates, bridges etc) with symbols. Unfortunately due to lack of funding and staff shortages it is not completely up to date but they are working on this. To access the map go to, on the top menu click on About us, on the side menu click on Rights of waythen on Rights of Way Map. Next scroll down to the paragraph entitled Rights of way mapand click on the link interactive rights of way map. This map clearly defines the area covered by the National Park. Be patient, it is a little slow to load.

North Yorkshire County Council also have a map system you can use at If you click on the relevant bridle path its path number is displayed so you will be able to give NYCC that information as well.


To make things as easy as possible for the authorities to identify the exact location of a problem it is a good idea to give them a grid reference. A useful tool to enable even the most map phobic among us to manage this is Simply zoom into the map and a right mouse click on the site of the problem will give you the grid ref.

Also remember that a picture is worth a thousand words. Now that most of us have mobiles that have integral cameras this is so easy to do.